Monday 9 October 2017

Brilliant breakfast compote


This week I had a few extra pears and apples lying around that weren't getting eaten as quickly as they should have been (while the bananas and mandarins have been racing out of the fruit-bowl!), so I thought I would make a quick and easy breakfast compote to enjoy in the week ahead.  Here's what I did:

1.  I peeled and sliced into chunks four apples and two pears, and placed them in the slow cooker.



2.  I roughly chopped a few dried figs and dates, and added them to the mix.


3.  Next, I added a generous handful of dried apricots too.



4.  In went a cinnamon quill, and two cloves.


5.  I then sprinkled the mixture with some raw sugar (about a tablespoon, but you can added more or less to your taste), and poured in about a cup and a half of water.  I didn't want to add too much liquid, but it just depends on how much fruit you are going to use.


6.  I left the slow cooker on low overnight, and woke up to a delicious compote to add to my muesli and yoghurt!  Yum!  I think it will also be delicious served warm over ice-cream ...






Enjoy! (P.S. I also woke up to a pretty amazing morning sky - beautiful!).

2 comments:

Anne said...

I have often made something similar on the stove but what a great idea to slow cook this recipe and I imagine that the advantage would be for the fruits to really plump up and also absorb the delicate cinnamon flavour..
Great idea served with yoghurt for breakfast or custard as an easy dessert!

Anne said...

Another great breakfast idea especially if you are staying away in holiday accommodation that doesn't have access to an oven.. you could put all the ingredients in the slow cooker and just turn on when you arrive. How easy and delicious served with yoghurt and berries.. very yummy!