Monday 30 October 2017

Soy-Braised Pork

I love recipe books but my collection is becoming over the top.  In bookshops I try to avoid the temptation of buying more by not to even entering the recipe book section. However, I was recently in Big W (love their book selection) and I came across the newest Women’s Weekly slow cooker book - how could I resist. Not only do all the recipes look delicious but they are also triple tested.

I highly recommend this Soy-Braised Pork. It was super easy and so fragrant. When my guests arrived they could smell dinner from down the street! 



I substituted the Chinese cooking wine for a dry sherry, as this is gluten free. I also wasn’t able to find micro coriander so I just used regular coriander, which worked well.





I will definitely be trying another recipe from this book.


Ingredients:

1 kg piece pork scotch fillet (neck)
2 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise
1/2 cup (125ml) salt-reduced soy sauce
1/2 cup (125ml) Chinese cooking wine (Shao Hsing)
1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
30g piece fresh ginger, sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, bruised
1 medium red onion (170g), cut into wedges
2 teaspoons sesame, toasted
1/4 cup loosed packed fresh micro coriander (cilantro) leaves

1.     Place all ingredients, except sesame seeds and coriander, in a 4.5 litre slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low for 8 hours.
2.     Remove pork from cooker; cover to keep warm. Increase heat to reduce setting on high; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until cooking liquid thickened slightly.

3.     Serve sliced pork with a little of the cooking liquid; sprinkled with sesame seeds and coriander.

Serves 4


Source: The Australian Women’s Weekly, ‘Slow-cooker Comfort food’








No comments: